Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mamallapuram!

It's Saturday again which means its time for another field trip! We are always excited to spend time all together and to get off campus for some fun in the sun! We left the Rising Star at 8:00 Saturday morning to head of to the beach aka Mamallapuram! On our drive there, the van got stopped at a railroad crossing. Apparently trains are scheduled around certain times. So they block the crossings at certain times not really knowing when the train will come. It doesn't matter how long it takes we wait until the train comes. Since we had been sitting there for twenty min Chen and I decided to paint our toe nails. Luckily I got mine finished before the train came because when we started moving again along the very bumpy, pot holed roads it was her turn!


When we reached Mamallapuram an hour and a half later the first thing Krissy, Chenelle and myself wanted was ice cream! All three of us felt pretty hungry at the time but after we shopped in Mamallapuram we were headed to the resort "Ideal Beach" for some time on the beach and swimming in the pool. And we had heard that they have good american food. So we decided that ice cream and Pepsi could hold us over until then!


We were dropped of by these Indian ruins and that was the same place we would be picked up in!


This place was known for its stone work! It was amazing watching these people carve stone and make designs! I wish I could have brought it all home with me! They are pretty dang talented!






As we were walking down the street shopping two little kids walked up to me and shook my hand! They were so sweet. They looked as though they had been wearing the same clothes for days and that they hadn't showered or washed their hair either. They asked me my name and told me I was pretty in broken English. Then they started begging for food. In this picture Chen caught me looking at her for help. At the rising star we aren't supposed to give in to anyone the begs because here they teach self reliance. It was extremely sad and at the same time I looked up and saw their mother pushing them on to do it while she sat in the shade and watched them, it made me mad. So I pulled some food out of my bag handed it to them and walked away. In that moment I decided I would always put my children and family first!



Benson is the best! He is really good at bargaining so he hung out with us all day so we could get better prices! We stopped at this cute hat shop and bought hats for the beach! Haha we looked like tourists so bad! I loved it!




This is where we all bought our shoes! They were making them in front of our eyes! It's probably my favorite purchase so far! It's amazing to actually see all these people making what they are selling you. I hardly see that at home! I have loved seeing and experiencing so many new things here, I'm truly going to miss it here!


As we made our way to the beach this is the first thing I saw! This is the kids rides on the beach. It looked like it wasn't working but I thought it was pretty funny but mostly pretty clever! Sometimes I feel as though I stepped back in time here, like they aren't caught up in technology. I see it everywhere. When we do construction they don't have any big machines to help get the job done, the tools as simple as a shovel. Their shovel looks hand made and is t very effective. They don't have a Lully system to move products so they use the women and the carry bricks and sand on their heads as they walk up two stories. So when I see these rides I feel as though they haven't realized that there are actually rides that aren't made from kids toy cars.








Yes we went horse back riding on the beach! So romantic right?! Gotta love my friends. We had a ball, riding these horses down the beach! Even though people were staring at us like we were crazy!





We always get so lucky! We have made friends with our drivers and they stay with us all the time! They make us feel safe and they help us get good deals and show us the best places to go! I love them and already miss them just thinking about leaving!


We headed to the resort Ideal beach, this was the sign we read before we hit the beach!














Sandra Rigby enjoying the water! Oh how I wish I could be in a pool at this moment! When we arrived to the resort we were starving! We headed down to the beach to order food. It was way expensive and once it came it was awful. I was pretty disappointed. Other than the bad American food everything else was beautiful! I felt like I was in Hawaii. It was weird thinking that so much poverty was outside the gate! It felt great swimming and cooling off and having fun getting to know each other!







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment